8.08.2011

The Valley of Vision

Here is a remarkable prayer from the book "The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions."

O Heavenly Father,

Teach me to see
that if Christ has pacified thee and
has satisfied divine justice
he can also deliver me from my sins;

that Christ does not desire me, now justified,
to live in self-confidence in my own strength,
but gives me the law of the Spirit of life
to enable me to obey thee;

that the Spirit and his power are mine
by resting on Christ's death;

that the Spirit of life within answers to
the law without;

that if I sin not I should thank thee for it;

that if I sin I should be humbled daily under it;

that I should mourn for sin more than other
men do,
for when I see I shall die because of sin,
that makes me mourn;

when I see how sin strikes at thee,
that makes me mourn;

when I see that sin caused Christ's death
that makes me mourn;

that sanctification is the evidence of reconciliation,
proving that faith has truly apprehended Christ;

Thou has taught me
that faith is nothing else than receiving thy
kindness;

that it is an adherence to Christ, a resting on him,
love clinging to him as a branch to the tree
to seek life and vigour from him.

I thank thee for showing me the vast difference
between knowing things by reason,
and knowing them by the spirit of faith.

By reason I see a thing is so;
by faith I know it as it is.

I have seen thee by reason and have not
been amazed,
I have seen thee as thou art in thy Son and have
been ravished to behold thee.

I bless thee that I am thine in my Saviour,
Jesus.

No comments: