1.19.2010

Mass. Special and Ted Kennedy

I've been following the news coming out of Massachusetts concerning the special election to replace the late Senator Kennedy. In a stunning turn of events the reliably blue Bay State may elect a Republican senator for the first time since the 1950's.

I have had a thought about this race concerning all the reasons it may go Republican Scott Brown's way, but have not seen it reported. Simply it was that the Kennedy dynasty and mystique took up all the oxygen in the room and made it very difficult for opposing views, conservative views, to gain a fair hearing. Now, without that family's presence, other voices are being heard.

This from The Corner seems to support my idea -

I am 42-year-old conservative and have lived in Massachusetts my entire life and this is the first time I feel like my vote matters.

Here, from an email, is another one -

Isn't this awesome? I have been voting since the day I turned 18, I have never been so excited to vote. My heart was pounding while driving to the polls, I was having a Chris Matthews moment. Usually I am the first one at the polls but there was a line. When I was leaving there was an ederly lady getting out of her mini van with Scott Brown signs all over it I gave her thumbs up. She was waving like we where long lost friends. What a day! For the first time in Massachusetts I felt like my vote counted.

That's got to be a great feeling.

1 comment:

Bob Wingate said...

Mike, I think you're on to something.

Since the election, there's been no shortage of analysis of why Mr. Brown was elected. I think you can't ignore the alarm / resentment / anger caused by the current occupant of the White House. B.H.O. got elected in part because enough people didn't like - to put it mildly - President Bush; and enough were tired of the war. November 2008 was never a mandate to dismantle the Constitution and tear down the USA.

God bless the conservative talk show hosts, and the Tea Party Republicans. Let's see if we can clean house this November.