7.22.2008

Tuesday

JOKER STEALS THE SHOW. Number One Son and I went to see the new Batman film tonight and it is everything it is cracked up to be. It is extremely grim, dark, or violent. So much so that, frankly, I was beginning to wonder if I could look at it. But, in retrospect, that is probably more a function of not knowing what was coming.

The portrayal of Joker by Heath Ledger was perfect. I'm not qualified to opine on all the talk of Ledger being nominated for an Oscar. But his Joker was perfect.

The film makes me uncomfortable in some ways and I don't feel as excited as I thought I might. I think the uncertainties the film leaves you with are a big part of my feeling here.

FROM HUGH HEWITT. "The Bush Administration has done everything a superpower can do except use military action. Iran's mullahs come to the conclusion that the U.S. and Israel either will not or cannot stop their nuclear ambitions. If strikes are launched against the mullahs' nuclear facilities, the U.S. will have tried every avenue to stop the program without resort to bombing. but Iran is an outlaw regime and it does not care a bit what the world demands of it."

Some nation needs to take Iran firmly in hand before it's too late. That is, destroy their nuclear capability.

USE YOUR BIBLE. This article from Justin Taylor's blog is very encouraging. There is some hand-wringing in the comments section, but I think most of it is over-reaction. I don't think Ryle had eternal security in mind when he wrote this. I think it is simply about the nourishment and refreshment the Bible brings to a believer's soul.

NOT YET. This article wonders how much the Cubs value might be diminished should they win the World Series.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's not August yet and two other baseball teams are right on the Cubs tail in the NL Central, one of them picked to finish last. And are they better than the Red Sox or the Angels?

We've a ways to go yet.

No comments: