4.20.2009

Cards Fire BB's At Problem 'Pen

The house is on fire and instead of calling the fire department, you drag out your water hose and do it yourself. That doesn't seem to be a realistic response to a serious event.

The Cardinals bullpen is on fire and GM John Mozeliak opted for the garden hose instead of the fire department. Maybe he thinks he'll need them later. At this rate, he would be correct.

St. Louis made a minor league deal today in hopes of addressing a major league problem. They sent minor league outfielder Brian Barton to the Atlanta Braves for minor league pitcher Blaine Boyer. The best part of the deal is that no monograms will need to be changed.

I'm not wild about this because I'm afraid it's window dressing. The Cards say this pitcher has an awful lot of upside and it would be nice if he did. I do like the fact that Mozeliak didn't wait very long to start addressing this because it's just way too obvious we've got issues in the 'pen. But this is not the answer, unless Boyer really turns into something special. And I guess he could. But I really hope Mozeliak is not done. The bullpen is bad.

I'll say it again: if someone will offer a serviceable middle relief for Rick Ankiel, do the deal.

Don't think twice, it's alright.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?