1.03.2009

Bible Reading and Prayer

If you are like me, you know that reading your Bible and praying are foundational practices for every born-again believer. And, if you are like me, the actual practice of these things has been spotty.

We are conditioned to view the turning of the calendar to a new year as an ideal time to renew ourselves and commit to new habits, or recommit ourselves to old ones. Like reading your Bible and praying.

I like getting help in these areas and I've found a couple of things that might be helpful to you, as well. The Desiring God blog lists "9 Ways to Pray for Your Soul" and "What to Pray for Our Children" in which there is a link to the meat of the answer, "Texts to Pray for Our Children". I am sure that praying them for grandchildren would be alright, too.

Justin Taylor at Between Two Worlds has linked to many Bible reading plans from which you may choose, if you need one. And we need one. You might already have one (Good!), but we need to have a plan for getting through our Bibles.

Additionally, I've added another project to my daily routine for this year. Over at Reformation 21 they are encouraging folks to read through Calvin's Institutes in 2009. So I ordered a reading plan from them and a copy of the book from the good folks at CBD. I'm not sure what I'm getting my self into, but I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: